Heartsaver® First Aid
The Heartsaver® First Aid course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid course completion card that is valid for two years.
Choose from classroom-based and blended-learning formats to expand your reach!
American Heart Association offers the Heartsaver First Aid course in either a classroom-based or a blended-learning format. Both formats use the same Instructor materials, which gives you a complete, flexible training solution.
Classroom-based training is entirely Instructor-led. Students complete the entire course in one video-based classroom session with an Instructor, which covers course content, skills practice, and testing.
- Hands-on instruction with an American Heart Association Instructor allows students to practice skills and ask questions throughout the course.
- Students complete their training in a single convenient session.
- Ideal for students with limited access to technology.
- Students keep their workbook for ongoing future reference.
Blended learning combines self-paced online training with hands-on, Instructor-led skills practice. Students first learn the course content online using Heartsaver® First Aid Online. They then attend an Instructor-led hands-on session focused on skills practice and testing.
- The online portion allows students to complete exercises and learn at their own pace.
- The hands-on session allows time for practice and discussion.
- Students have access to Heartsaver CPR AED Online for 24 months after activation, allowing them to revisit simulations and videos after they complete the course.
- features a modular format that creates course flexibility
- is ideal for learners who prefer group interaction and feedback from an instructor while learning skills
- includes a student workbook for reference during and after the course
- can be completed at home or work in less time than a classroom-based course
- is convenient for ongoing refreshing of employees’ skills
- can be shared with employee’s family members
- uses micro simulation scenarios, video clips, and interactive activities to keep students engaged and learning
- includes a student workbook to supplement learning
(Note: Skills practice and test must be completed with a certified American Heart Association instructor or skills evaluator.)
Heartsaver courses are intended for Fortune 1500 companies and for employees in industries such as:
- law enforcement
- state correctional facilities
- colleges and universities
- health and fitness
- property management
- occupational and environmental health and safety
- child care
— and any others where having a workforce of trained lay responders may prove invaluable for the safety of both customers and employees.